Friday, September 14, 2007

TANDOOL OR RICE ROTI....

Tandool bhakri or Rice roti is a very good roti in place of wheat roti for chicken or fish curries.
If you go to a malwani or goan restaurant you will find it on the menu, my son always prefers to take this rice roti at restaurants.
This was my first try at making a rice roti my the following method explain in this post and it did come out well , I made a rice roti a couple of years back but the method was different, I made it just like we do a wheat flour chapatti or roti.But I found that when done in the way I have done it in this recipe it turns out to be soft and succulent



INGREDIENTS

1 cup rice flour
1 cup water
1 tsp ghee
Salt to taste


METHOD

Boil one cup water
Add ghee and salt
Add the rice flour and stir
It will become dry, keep a lid and let it cook for about 2 mins
Take this mixture on a place and let it cool a little
Knead as you would knead the wheat flour dough, you can apply a little oil on your palms as the dough will be hot.
Roll these as you would for any other roti. Don’t use flour for dusting.
Cook them on a hot tawa.
Serve with some hot and spicy chicken or fish curry.
I had served it with a potato bhaji , but after eating it I felt that it suits best with non vegetarian gravies.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is known as akki rotti in kannada and goes very well with gojjus/ chutneys especially the ones made in north karnataka with a lot of groundnuts and chillies.

these rotis aren't just yummy but also very light :)

Unknown said...

mahek,please post recipe of khatkhate
soon....

Pooja V said...

Rice bhakri rocks....eat it with our goan alambi tondak or xacuti..its heaven :)

bha said...

never had a rice roti before...shud try it immediately...thanks for sharing

Mahek said...

hi
friends thanks for your response...
lakshmi thanks for the information..
pooja and bhags you must try this roti and tell me about it ok...
dear supriya,
i have posted the recipe of khatkhate as soon as i saw that you needed it urgently its 12.45 at night now , i hope you make it tommorow for ganeshchaturti , do you have tephala

Jyothi said...

Hi, rice roti looks yum. I will make a try. Thanks for sharing.

Sharmi said...

the rotis look very pretty. I don't know somehow I dont get them correctly.

Cynthia said...

I've never had rice roti before.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Wished you could send all those tasty dises to us thru net.

amna said...

you have a lovely blog here :) do send in an entry with your fave cookbook if you can, will be fun :)

i love the cupcakes picture :) do you get to buy those paper holders in any store?

Anonymous said...

Hi Mahek, Never had heard of 'Rice Roti' till now !! I will give it a try, and i hope i get it right !

www.monaafzal.wordpress.com

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

I am learning something new everyday from each blog. I never knew rice rotti existed. Goa has version, as lakshmi said kannidiga's have a version and in kerala we call it oratti(but coconut is added) and pathiri( roti is drenched in coconut milk)in Kerala. It is a small world after all. i love your blog. I hope I could get the mahek from mahek's blog too.

Unknown said...

Hi, this looks somewhat like a tortilla, only made of rice. Am I right to think that it is a sort of bread fried or baked in a pan? If so, then I am going to try this as I am gluten intolerant and miss my flour tortillas. Can you explain to me what it means when you say cook them on a hot tawa?

I do not even know where Goa is, so I have never heard of goan cooking. Thank you for your blog.

Sameer Huprikar said...

nice...the tandool bhakri looks and tastes nice. i tried it with pithla.The method to get the dough looks pretty similar to the "ukad" in ukadiche modak....maybe you could also take a shot adding some milk too...it works for the modak, might suit pretty well for the bhakri too.