Sunday, September 05, 2010

PHOOTI KADI....

This is one appetizer loved by people in Goa and I think each home has their own version of making it...
I call it a appetizer because that what people normally do drink it before their meal starts it helps to digest the heavy meals that's going to follow (that's what i think).


I love to have it with my rice and after the first part i.e either Dal or fish curry I love to end my meal by having this with rice and i love the after tangy taste that it leaves in your mouth, you feel nice and fresh.

Very simple to make
soak kokum a sour fruit found in Goa which is dried to make sol kadi (made with coconut milk) or this kokum kadi or also as a souring agent for some fish dishes.
soak about 7-8 kokums in water for about 1 hour or till the sour taste percolates into the water, add 1/2 sp asoefotida, 2 finely chopped green chillies, 2 tsp sugar for a glass of water,salt to taste and finely chopped coriander for garnish.

2 comments:

Anu said...

Mahek,
Phooti kadi looks so refreshing! Do you know how to make Kokum kadi Goan style? In Mahalasa temple, in Mardol, they serve this everyday but they add coconut. Do you have a recipe for that?

Thanks!
Anu

Anonymous said...

Hi Mahek,
I love my phooti kadi with my rice as well and also to drink some at the end of the meal. But you know what, other than myself and my family, you are the only person I know who adds sugar to it. No one else seems to do it.

Yours posts are really very inspiring. Every time I see one of your thalis, I make a note to myself that I need to cook such a balanced meal as well. Hopefully for the coming Ganapati festival. Planning to make mooga gathi, modak. No paatoli though, no turmeric leaves available here :(

Arati