Thursday, July 07, 2011

VEGETABLE WITH GOURD*****

I am sure that there will be many who will just skip this post as " GOURD" is not a vegetable which I have seen anyone relish with passion...

Its a vegetable which is quite tasteless on its own . You have to cook it in such a way that its goodness is enhanced and what you do get a tasty vege..

 But one thing you have to remember it cannot be made into a very spicy vegetable its best if eaten with a little spice and minimum oil.

I have to admit that I too never liked to eat this vegetable if given a choice....but it so happened that last year I had a to go through a surgery and so for my recovery, eating this vegetable was the best option for me....
My mom who loves this vegetable and can eat it in large quantities used to make it everyday for me with the miniumum of spices and oil and as I did not eat anything else but this it made me feel good and healthy and that's how I came to appreciate its benefits and now it falls into one of my favorite food categories..


Here I have combined two types of gourds and tried to make it healthier .. Its a great vegetable for kids as well , its the best option as compared to the other rich and oily vegetable that one has...

Although its not a party vegetable its definetly something that one should try to cook once a week at home and make sure that your family eats it 


I have used a snake gourd and a bottle gourd in this vegetable. If you are interested you can find the benefits of a snake gourd here and read about a bottle gourd here

RECIPE WITH INGREDIENTS AND METHOD

Chop the gourds (total about 1/2 kg) into medium size cubes or slices according to your preference.
Take a pan , heat it and add about 2 tsp oil , add a tsp of cumin seeds let them splutter add 1/2 tsp of asoefotida, 2 chopped green chillies (chillies can be reduced in case of illness or other health problems) .stir a little and then add a 1/2 tsp of haldi powder
Add pre-soaked chana dal (this is optional ) you can also add small tiny cubes of potato , this combination gives a different taste to the vegetable.
add the chopped gourd , salt and a small marble size ball of jaggery.
add about 1/2 cup water and cook till tender , here you can add a tsp of dhania-jeera powder (this is again optional) and finely garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.


2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I haven't had this kind of gourd in a long time. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

i love gourd in any form..vivari..