Thursday, June 01, 2006

drumstick - dry vegetable


3 drumsticks
1 tsp mustard seeds
¼ sp asafoetida powder
½ sp turmeric powder
½ sp methi seeds
½ tsp garam masala powder
1 cup grated coconut
Marble size tamarind
1 tsp jaggery
11/2 tsp chili powder.
You can add finely chopped brinjal too this is optional


Peel and cut drumsticks into 11/2 inch pieces.
Heat oil in a vessel and add mustard seeds, when they splutter add methi seeds asafetida and drumstick pieces and cook with one-cup water for 10 mins or till the time the drumsticks become soft.
Grind together coconut, chilli powder, garam, masala powder, haldi powder, and tamarind together with little water to a rough paste.
Add the paste to the cooked drumsticks and add water till it becomes a bit watery not too much the paste should stick to the drumsticks.
Add salt and jaggery boil for 3 mins and serve with rice or chapatti.
I have added brinjal in this vegetable.


Tina said...

Wow!!!Nice vege with lots of coconut.

Mahek said...

thanks tina
just try the vegetable if you like drumsticks and let me know

Reshma said...

I do cook the drumsticks the same way minus garam masala minus jaggery.I just love this vegetabel.

Linda said...

Hi Mahek,

I am just compiling a little list of blogger's drumstick recipes and came across your blog. I hope you don't mind if I add this - it looks wonderful!

Best wishes from New England :)

Mahek said...

i should be thanking you for adding my recipe to your list and appreciating it.
thanks a lot

Anonymous said...

i was searching for drumsticks recipe and found yours quite interesting

Bhawna, Dubai

Anonymous said...

Even I make drumsticks minus jaggery minus coconut. . . .
But yours looks even better. . .
I am gonna try it. . .