Monday, July 17, 2006

FISH MARKET IN GOA....

CAN YOU SEE THE MACKERAL IN PACKETS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PRAWNS ON THE RIGHT , YOU ALSO GET VERY TINY PRAWNS CALLED AS "GALMO" WHICH ARE TASTY TOO, BUT THEY HAVE TO BE CLEANED VERY WELL BEFORE THE PREPARATION.
I GET MY YEARLY SUPPLY OF PRAWNS FROM HER....YOU CAN SEE HER WEIGHING THE PRAWNS WHICH I PURCHASED. THEY DO IT IN A WOODEN CUP WHICH IS ONE "VATTO" OR ONE PORTION WHICH IS PRICED ACCORDINGLY..


I GOT THE MACKKERAL PACKETS FROM THIS LADY HERE....


As i have said earlier fish is an integral part of a goan diet, and goans cannot live without fish so when it rains the variety of fish available is less campared to the other days of the year, so you see lots of dry fish in the market which is stored away for the rainy day.

3 comments:

Ashwini said...

You brought a lot of memories...love the markets of Goa. So lively and chaotic!
Btw Mahekbai which is your blog? Love2cook or this one? I get confused where you are updating...?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great post! This fish market sure looks very interesting...

Please give me your e-mail address, so that we can exchange our thoughts via this way!

Anonymous said...

Mahek, it's been years since I visited Goa. Your pictures bring back many memories. My aatya and her family still live in Goa. We used to visit them a lot when we were kids.

Thank you!